Carpe Instantia; Bobby Gene Cail
CARPE INSTANTIA
Born and raised in sun-drenched El Paso, TX, Bobby Gene Cail has been surrounded by music his entire life and has been making noise since he could swing his arms. He got his start in school music programs, gravitated to the drums, and eventually developed a love for the heavier side of music. Over the years Bobby has been a part of many projects, performed numerous live shows, has toured, taught, and is now gearing up to release his first official solo album on September 19th titled, “Carpe Instantia”. We recently shared a conversation to discuss the album and much more…
Adam: Bobby, let's start off with you telling me a little bit
about your current state in the industry, what projects you currently have
going on etc. and we can go from there.
Bobby: The one and only project I currently have going on is my
first solo album by the name of Carpe Instantia, which is out September 19.
Aside from that, already working on a second album.
A: And that will be released under your name Bobby Gene Cail
B: That is correct
A: Before we dive into that record, tell me a little bit
about how you got to this point, what are some previous musical projects you
have been a part of?
B: So many to name! The first band I was ever in was by the
name of Mindhole. After that, were so many in El Paso. In Southern California
and Los Angeles, a handful of bands as well, a significant one by the name of
Profecia.
A: What city are you currently based out of?
B: LA
A: But, you grew up in El Paso?
B: Born and raised.
A: So, tell me, what got you started playing music, was
there a certain person that got you into playing music, and how did you end up
choosing the drums?
B: Probably my father. Always playing music around the
house. He said I was always banging on things. My grandmother bought me my
first drum which was a snare drum for school band. Later, my father bought me a
drum set.
A: Did anyone in your family before you play or that you
just decided to do on your own?
B: My father is a blues musician who played guitar and
harmonica. He didn’t force me into music; I just fell in love with music.
A: And are there any releases out there floating around by
your dad from back then?
B: Yes. They’re actually recent. Fatherandson, Blues Immortal
and Jungle of Hobo. Blues Immortal is comprised of covers and the other two EPs
are originals. It’s our artist’s name, and it’s Cailblues.
A: Very cool, so you drum with him also?
B: Yes. Since the age of 13
A: Do you remember your first kit?
B: First kit was a Sunlite
A: You mentioned your grandma getting you your first snare
for school band, so did you eventually make it to drumline?
B: I did. First it was concert band in elementary, jazz band
in middle school and drumline in high school. Only for a couple years, was
kicked out of one school and couldn’t join the drum-Line for the other school
so I put more focus on the drum kit afterwards.
A: And then you found your way to playing heavier music?
B: I was into heavy music since the age of thirteen and each
year that went on, the influences got heavier and crazier, but the foundation
of blues, jazz and classical was always there.
A: So, let's dive into your upcoming album "Carpe
Instantia", as a drummer, what does the writing process look like for a
solo album?
B: Being that this is my first one, it’s basically made up
of ideas/energy pent up over the many years and I finally got around to lay it
all out. Constructed chaos you can say. I sit behind the kit, compose about 4
or 5 beats, then arrange the parts accordingly to where they would flow best as
a song. I then grab a guitar and play along to these beats/songs to get an idea
of what I’d like the song to become (mood, tone, leads, tuning, etc.). I hired
a talented individual to bring my ideas to life on guitar and luckily, we share
the same exact influences which is kinda crazy. I wrote lyrics for this album
but ultimately, decided on releasing it as an instrumental. I was pretty close and
still contemplating hiring a singer, but for now, instrumental is great.
A: That's a pretty unique approach man, I think it's more
common for songs to be built on a riff or a melody, but it is an interesting
concept to base songs around drum beats, I look forward to checking it out. So
do the songs still evolve a bit once you begin tracking them or does the
structure stay pretty close to what you come up with just on the kit first?
B: You’re right. Either a guitar riff/melody or from the
lyrics. They actually do evolve a bit, both with the drums and the guitar.
Sometimes a part is so great and hits so hard, it’s worthy of repeating a few
more times, also, for instance, the drums from the demo version get pretty amped up, with a few more fills and extra
nuances added by the time I record the final version in the studio.
A: And as far as musical style, what can be expected from
this record?
B: Progressive metal. Melodic but very powerful, technical,
and Emotional.
A: How about the title "Carpe Instantia", can you
explain what the meaning is and why you decided on that as the album title?
B: It’s an adaptation of the term “Carpe Diem” or seize the
day. It then when on to be seize the moment, then eventually seize the instant,
(Carpe Instantia) because in reality, even a moment can be like a few minutes
but to be even more compendious or brief, it’s about seizing the instant! The
theme to it is also space related, starting from the birth, all the way to the
death of a star.
A: Very cool, and do you have a release date yet and can you
tell us where that music will be available to listen?
B: Saturday, September 19th. It will be streaming on all
platforms. I’ve posted 2 teasers so far and will be posting one more soon as
well as 2 singles before the release date. The pre-save link will be ready mid-August.
A: How about live shows, will you be planning to perform
this material live?
B: Definitely going to play more intimate spots and venues, maybe even coffee shops and speakeasys to provide more of a personal experience, I also plan on getting the album pressed and selling some vinyl out there while
I’m at it.













Comments
Post a Comment